Raats Family Wines is a boutique winery situated in the Polkadraai Hills area of Stellenbosch, South Africa. The Estate was established in the year 2000 and is considered a specialist in crafting world class and truly distinct wines from Chenin Blanc and Cabernet Franc. It is their mission to consistently produce Chenin Blanc and Cabernet Franc of outstanding quality from South Africa and to establish these wines as international benchmarks. Raats Family Wines have already earned a stellar reputation internationally as a New World leader in the production of these varietals and regularly receive positive write-ups by esteemed wine reviewers such as Olly Smith, Matthew Jukes, Tim Atkins, James Molesworth, Neil Martin and Jancis Robinson in definitive publications such as Decanter, Wine Spectator, Wine Advocate, Wine Enthusiast, The Observer, Daily Mail and New York Times. Proprietor and award-winning winemaker Bruwer Raats has received international and local acclaim during his highly acclaimed career as cellar master and viticulturist par excellence.
- Produces an upper scale product of high and consistent quality which they have managed to maintain throughout its range of wines.
- Quality driven and have set high standards for themselves to ensure the overall quality of the product meets with consumer satisfaction.
- Produce wine that represents SA Terrior and therefore tastes completely different from any other country in the world.
- The only Cabernet Franc specialist in South Africa.
- Family run operation which is hands on and do everything themselves.
- Maintains complete control of viticulture at these sites, located at an average of 250m above sea level in the prime Bottelary Hills, Simonsberg, Helderberg and Blaauwklippen areas of Stellenbosch.
- Soil specific and only sources Chenin Blanc and Cabernet Franc from several extremely low-yielding old vine parcels characterised by complex soils of table mountain sandstone and decomposed dolomite granite.
- Produces just over 10 000 cases of 12 (120 000 bottles or 90 000 litres) of wine per annum and harvests grapes from about 25ha in total.
- All the vines are located in Stellenbosch region with about 80% of plantings being Chenin Blanc and only 20% Cabernet Franc.
- Philosophy: Leave the soil in a better condition than what you found it in. This goal underlies all our actions and decisions.
“The difference for us is that everything we do we try to resonate the quality in our wine and that eventually becomes our marketing angle. We do it small, we do it fantastically and we do it so differently to anybody else. The end resultant is rare, unique, small and different to anyone else.” Bruwer Raats
View dropdown for Pricing Guideline 2021
|WSET||Price Code||EU (€)||US ($)||UK (£)|
|Super Premium||A||> 29,00 €||$ 40 +||> £ 35|
|Premium||B||> 18,00 – 29,00 €||$ 20 – 40||£ 19 – £ 34.99|
|Higher Priced||C||> 10,00 – 18,00 €||$ 15 – 20||£ 10 – £ 18.99|
|Mid-range||D||> 5,00 – 10,00 €||$ 10 – 15||£ 6 – £ 9.00|
|Entry-level||E||< 5,00 €||< $ 10||< £ 5.99|
SEEKING DISTRIBUTION IN THE FOLLOWING COUNTRIES
Should you wish to represent us in one of the countries below please contact us.
- Canada – Calgary / Quebec / BC
- South Korea